19.04.2014 Hopkins/Shumenov Wash,DC.

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by belltoller, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

His new alias is "the alien" ... or at least that's what he calls himself.

Edit: perhaps his name should be "the TRT expert"

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I wish you were too; I know you'd invite your best States-side MAP mate to join you out there in Wash D.C., lol.

Though, I don't suppose your better-half keen on two stow-away kids and an unneutered boxer attached to her leg (one's enough I'm sure) for the weekend, lol.

On second thought...D.C. not exactly down the road from us, either :rolleyes:

3. belltoller

Just because he looks and fights closer to 25 than 50 doesn't mean he .... well,...hmmm...

Don't pop my balloon

4. Saved_in_Blood

Remember ladies and gentlemen, Malignaggi vs. Shawn Porter (ex Pacquiao sparring partner) is also fighting tonight.

5. Saved_in_Blood

Don't worry man... if you're not fighting at the elite level, then I think you're ok lol.

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Between this thread, seeing posts of guys at the gym I was training at on Facebook who are attending the event, and my wife being gone for 2 weeks, I feel jumping out of the window to my death (I live on the first floor, and the floor of the apartment is about 2 feet below ground level outside. It's not a long fall, lol).

Good thing I have MAP, History homework, and a tub of Crisco. :cry:

7. belltoller

If these blokes were about anything, they wouldn't need to post to the likes of Facials-Book, IMVHO

BTW...what's with the Cris...Oh! right, you did mention she was out a couple of weeks! :p

8. belltoller

Man, you had that one right! Best of the evening.
    Porter hammered poor Pauli to bits. Really liked his class after the fight as well.

Shawn's a force to be reckoned with.

9. Saved_in_Blood

I like Shawn, but he will be flatted in almost the exact same way Pacquiao was by a straight right hand with those leaping left hooks. That's not a smart way to fight at all.

10. Saved_in_Blood

well last night was interesting, Hopkins beat a guy with 16 fights, who trains himself and really posed no threat. The only highlights we saw of him was 1 KO they played a few times from several angles. I understand that Hopkins age is all they want to talk about, but a good amateur fighter could have beaten this guy. It was another case of clever matchmaking for a paper belt I don't look for him to fight Stevenson and certainly not Kovelov anytime soon even though he said he was coming to Canada to fight Stevenson and even if he did and it was close at all, Hopkins gets robbed and then someone actually scoring the fight 114-113 for Shumenov? Hopefully that judge has been fired already. I get tired of the politics. There is NO WAY that guy won more and 2 rounds that I could give him. 3 if you wanted to really kind to him. Either way, Hopkins won and is working on a fairly padded record at LHW. I would say I was impressed, as Hopkins is a great fighter with great defense, but press him with high output and he's easily beaten... even when he was younger. I don't buy into the age thing. You want to fight at 49? Then go after the top tier otherwise you're doing nothing in the division except taking out the trash.

11. belltoller

It was just a tad strange - this fellow, Shumenov, his oddball stance ( hey, keeping that left lowered (Ken Norten?) is going to invite rights all night ) then that one judges decision. You are right - the first two rounds maybe went to Shumenov.

Shumenov did not look good last evening but you have to give credit to Bernard for being able to hang in there - especially being the type of Johnny-come-lately style fighter he is.

12. Saved_in_Blood

The bigger question from Saturday is who does Porter fight now? That leaping in with hooks will have to be dealt with by his trainer or a good counterpuncher will KO him as soon as they see it. I have to say that I do like Porter though, very humble guy.

13. belltoller

Yes, I like him too. Good comment regarding a counter-man capitalising on his lunges - but then perhaps he adjusts to the style of the man in front of him ( mark of a class-A) and would not proceed the same in different circumstances - :dunno: that much of him, shame on me.

I need to go and watch more of his fights.

14. Saved_in_Blood

No, that's true too. It is possible. He beat Alexander who isn't quite elite, but he's a solid B or maybe B+ fighter. Marquez might have a field day with that lunging punch though ;)