18 Lohan (chi) Gung

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by keef, May 21, 2003.

1. keef

keef Valued Member

Have started learning the mantis Chi Gung, was wondering if anyone else here has learnt this or similar and your experiences of it.

So far for me I can feel the physical results whilst practising it (ie. tendon stretching etc) and think that I am also getting some relaxation from it too.

I want something that will help me relax more and ideally fit nicely in with my existing training so this seems maybe the right direction? I was thinking of also learning Tai Chi but my instructor (whom also knows Tai Chi) states that Tai Chi is Chi Gung but with martial applications therefore similar results can be achieved with the mantis chin gung, Tai Chi may just flow a bit more.

Wondering what your views are?

2. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

if i remember right then arhat fists or 18 fists of lohan is the started with Excercises techniques...
    if you are doing them then you don't need Tai Chi Gung
    tho tai chi hav it's own set of ChiKung/Nei Gung etc even after u can get those results just by doing Forms too... but they are like aids ....
    -TkdWarrior-

3. Chinwoo-er

Chinwoo-er Valued Member

I've learnt 6 sections of the 18 lohan-gong
    my exaperience is that for combat purposes, the first 3 sectoins is really designed to build up your fighting capabilities. While the rest seems to be more supplimentary of other useful-but-not-really-essential things
    Keef, I believe that you don't need extra "relaxing" techniques as the last segments of each sections is designed to relax you already. If you think they are not enough, just stand and relax your body for 3-4 breaths and you should be ok. In addition, I disagree with your master in the idea that Tai Chi's chi gong and the mantis chi gong is the same as the targeted areas of training is really different. I don't think there is really any problem doing them both at the same time, but careful not to overwork yourself. Speaking from experience, doing more then 2 gongs at a time is paving the road for big troubles

Last edited: May 21, 2003
  4. keef

keef Valued Member

Chinwoo-er,

I should have made it a bit clearer about what I asked my instructor, I asked him if Tai Chi would benefit me more for relaxation purposes rather than the Chi Gung and he said that both would provide relaxation and just that the Tai Chi flows more but the Chi Gung will be sufficient for me! sorry about it being a bit confusing! He certainly does not class them as the same. I am recovering from stress just now and have in the past done lots of meditation and muscle relaxation therefore I am trying to find something that will fit into my martial arts training that will address this issue, it sounds like the Chi Gung within the mantis is worth following!

My teacher knows mantis, tai chi & wing chun but I just want to make sure I am doing the correct thing concentrating on the chi gung (which would be sensible as it is in my system already) rather than the Tai Chi for relaxation purposes. I have never had the Tai Chi taught to me but when I asked my teacher he said it is primary applications he would teach it for not relaxation.