16oz or 12oz? All-Purpose or Heavy-Bag?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Greg, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Greg

Greg Valued Member

We finally got a heavy bag and speed bag in our school's gym, and I plan to use it a lot next semester. What type of gloves should I buy? My friend recommended 16oz, but I just want to get other opinions. Also, should I get all-purpose gloves or the ones specifically for the heavy bag (note that there's also a speed bag and maybe I'll spar with my friend)?

Thanks.

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

If you're going at it 'hard' on the heavy bag you should be wearing a minimum of 10 oz, otherwise you can end up wearing out your shoulders when you get lots of decent powerful shots in.

As to 12 or 16, it's really up to you. I'd prefer to go as light as I can get away with but then I'm not a proper boxer, if you're gearing up for a fight I'd suggest you wear the 16's to get used to them.

3. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I train in 16's. It sucks at first cause they're heavy and you'll aways be a bit slower than everybody else. But come fight time, you put on those tiny little fight gloves and you'll have hands like laser beams :) I'm considering going to 18's, if I can find em..

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Personally I only own 10s and 14s (plus 'bag' gloves and assorted other gloves). The 10s I use for the heavy bag and normal sparring, the 14s for heavy sparring.

5. Greg

Greg Valued Member

Thanks for the replies. I went out and bought the 16's today. Haven't tried them out on the bag yet, though. Thanks again.