164 defeat in 5 years ?!?!

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by furn, May 18, 2008.

1. furn

furn Valued Member

Just want to say that this man impress me :

Donnie Penelton...is record in professional boxing is 13 win, 164 lost and 5 drawn...

Direct link: http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=4788&cat=boxer

Is number of loss fascinate me ! How can you persist to fight when you got more that an hundred of defeat behind you?

I laugh when I saw him fight Jean Pascal in 2005, because his manager said that "Penelton is a man with enormous boxing experience, so we will be able to see what our boxer can do". I remember the audience going mad when they knew the statistic of Penelton, it was a funny part of the evening.

Anyway, anybody to explain me the powerfull mindset that refuse to quit (Thank ross) of this man?

2. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

he's a professional can. likely doesn't even know the name of any given opponent, just how much he's getting paid.

3. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

But what would possess someone to seek to be a professional can? Would he not learn anything from a record of 13-164-5?

4. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

he'd learn he could make a living at it.

5. tideliar

tideliar Valued Member

Think I'd rather flip burgers!! :D

6. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Amazing. How you would not fight to win is beyond me.

7. furn

furn Valued Member

Anyway, even if this man do this for money, he's so bad that is wage for each fight must decrease.

Also, he starts in 2000, and he didn't fight since 2005...I think is career is done, it's pretty short, so it's not enough to make enough money to live.

And Yohan, I don't understand too ;)

8. flammee

flammee Valued Member

Ummm, you missed pages 2 and 3. He started his fighting career at age of 26, in year 1990..

I just realized that I have great respect for such persistence. I have always thought that those who end their fighting career before they start loosing are kind of cowards.. Well maybe "coward" is bit too strong word, but atleast I think that it shows more fighting spirit to keep going despite all losses..

Although in boxing, it's probably more wise to not keep getting knocked out too much..

9. Switch2

Switch2 Banned Banned

I predict a Balboa-type comeback
    Yo Adriannnnnnnn

10. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

This bum should not be allowed to get licensed, its ridiculus..

11. furn

furn Valued Member

oops my mistake :ban: !

You're right, i'm sure that around a thirty KO don't help to have a healthy brain:p

12. path_one

path_one steps taken

I have to point out that his wins are over new comers, fighters who have 0-0-0 on there record entering the fight (If I were a manager/coach and worried about the abilities of my fighter I'd put him against a guy with 150+ losses for their first fight too!)

the thing is if you look further at his wins you can see he's beaten this guy twice (a fighter with a worse record than his own!!!)

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=4741&cat=boxer

13. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

No way man. If this guy was "persevering," he'd actually train hard between fights.

14. flammee

flammee Valued Member

Well, isn't age of 26 bit late to start fighting in ring? And when he took his last fight he was 41 years old, that's definitely old for boxing. So, for a guy who starts boxing as 23+ years old and isn't talented, it's all possible that he trained hard.

There are stories of guys who start relatively late and with hard training get themselves to the top of sport. That doesn't mean that anyone can do it with same amount of hard training. There are lots of people who train hard.. Training hard can be better than training a little and being very talented, but being talented AND training hard, that's something else.. For example, I just suck at acrobatics. I have trained walking on hands for 2 years and still keep falling over after a few steps. :p Now, I know talented people who have learned that skill in less than an hour. There's no way that I could compete with them in acrobatic stuff, after two years they would be so far ahead of me that it would probably take lifetime of training to get into their level.. But I still keep training it, I like it. Maybe that boxer liked boxing too.. :)

15. duffman

duffman New Member

Its gas to see these guys records. Some of them reads like a whos who of world boxing! Well not quite but you can definitly find 10-30 world beaters in the records of Strickland, Buckley etc.

Out of interest what do these guys make per night. I imagine after 50 losses thier purse doesnt go down but rather they have flat rate for fighting?