15 year old girl teaching?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by puma, Oct 5, 2010.

1. puma

puma Valued Member

Am I reading this right? This girl is running sword seminars?

www.rubieplanson.com

I'm sure it said she started at 7, and has trained 8 years. That makes her 15 right? This can't be allowed can it? Who would insure her?

2. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Is it traditional kenjutsu or XMA sword tricking stuff?

I do find it interesting that they feel it necessary to list her measurements but not her age :p It says "in the last eight years she's done this" but it doesn't necessarily mean she's only been training eight years, she could have done a few years of more "boring" traditional martial arts before that, and only been working on more "exciting" stuff in those eight years, which would be more interesting to put on her extreme CV.

On the other hand, Sensei Google just brought this to my attention. Could be even younger than you thought :p

http://martialartsunltd.co.uk/risingstars/198-rubie-planson.html

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Rubie is very much XMA. Her seminars would therefore be aimed at individuals who want to get into that side of martial arts.

There is no reason she can't be teaching at fifteen. It's not so much how long a person has been training, but rather how hard they trained and how much they've learned. I know plenty of teenage martial artists who far outclass older people in terms of physical prowess, knowledge gained and communication skills, and they've often been training much less.

Btw, they list Rubie's measurements because she often puts on displays for commercial events (like trade shows) and they need an idea of her dress size for fitting costumes and the like.

4. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I don't see why not. What exactly can't she do that an older person can't? Just saying 'ohh but she's 15 doesn't cut it'.

As Van Zandt said, there are plenty of much younger MA'ists who are way above older people in both ability and communication skills. There were 14 year olds at my last kickboxing club who were way higher than me and could teach me plenty of things.

5. Hatamoto

That makes sense, thanks, I wondered what relevance that had.

6. Neil Gendzwill

Neil Gendzwill Valued Member

According to her website she has been training in "kenjutsu" for 3 years but now trains solo. So at 15 and after 3 years she has decided she knows enough to go solo. Her website has very little detail on her training background. It's all a load of crap.

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i think the problem is that she's not legally an adult. whatever her skills might or might not be; seminars aside, is is even legally possible for her to teach? what about getting insurance? do remember too that she's teaching weapons use, which could complicate things.

if she can get all that stuff in order (and if she's famous then i'm pretty sure she did :p), then no, i guess there's no problem with it, other than the fact that people might not take her seriously, or try to take advantage of her (guess that's why she has a sword :p)

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I suspect most audience members will be covered by their school's liability insurance. However, Rubie may have a chaperone with her who takes out a policy and assumes responsibility on her behalf.

9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

and weapon ownership, if illegal for her, can be solved the same way, with her just borrowing weapons owned by an adult.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I doubt it's a case of her training in kenjutsu for 3 years and then teaching seminars in that art, which I suspect is the point you're making. I think it's more a case of she studied kenjutsu while simultaneously learning all the spinny twirly stuff, excelling at the latter and teaching seminars in that.

11. Neil Gendzwill

I doubt she learned any kenjutsu at all. She learned whatever made-up eclectic twirly bits she needed to choreograph sword-dancing to music.

I don't have a problem with this stuff, I just wish they'd stop associating it with martial arts.

12. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Yeah it would be more accurate to call it a martial art-themed dance, with emphasis on the word 'dance'.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

But then it wouldn't sound as cool, would it? :D

14. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

"You guys was a pleasure to teach" >.< Arrgh
    Looks like the next chloe bruce wannabe

15. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Is Chloe Bruce actually a fighter or just a dancer?? Rubie Whatsherface at least used to fight before deciding she preferred forms.

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

At least it's not "u guiz wuz @ plezzur 2 t34ch <3" :D

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Putting age and insurance issues aside I saw this girl on a television programme a few weeks back. She certainly has the skill to back up any claim made.

So based on what I saw, yes there is no reason she cannot teach, although I would like to know she has her instructor checking in every now and again.

18. Hatamoto

To be fair to her, saw her Facebook fan page and Twitter in my google search earlier, and she refers to herself as a "martial arts performance artist" I think it was. At least she acknowledges that it's a performance, and not acting like it's just a more extreme badass version of traditional martial arts.

19. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Well, here in the states you don't necessarily need insurance for a seminar depending on where it is held at. Assuming she's from the UK though I'm sure laws are different. Her website looks more like a model trying to promote herself rather than a highly skilled martial artist. I have no problem with a 15 year old teaching seminars if people want to pay, thats their business.

20. Neil Gendzwill

Got home where I have youtube access and watched some of the videos. I think this thread is just misplaced. Does MAP have a section for baton twirling?