14 weeks to 'good strength'

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Axelator, May 25, 2012.

1. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

Just Muay Thai today.

2. Axelator

Sat:
    Went to the gym
    Squats 135kg 5x5
    Front Squants 95kg 3x5
    Hyper Extensions 3x20 20kg

3. Axelator

Sunday:
    Rested

Monday:
    Muay Thai.

4. Axelator

Gym
    Deadlifts 5x2 150kg
    Bent Over Rows 5x5 90kg
    Romanian Deadlifts 3x5 110kg
    Pulls Ups 3x5 (was tired frome everything else)

5. Axelator

Just Muay Thai today.

6. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I agree with CrowZero, you might have that 160kg 1RM already (for Deadlift), behind the combined volume you are doing in all your training, dunno what week you are on at the moment.

7. Axelator

Yeah I definitely got the deadlift, 150kg goes up easily, I think I'm in week 7 now so just over half way through.

I might cut this a little short and focus more on my cardio and diet if I can hit my other goals in the next few weeks since I should be fighting again in late september or november.

The bench press is going to be the real challenge, I might test out my singles the week starting on the 22nd. I think I might be able to hit the squat at 160kg too. The challenge is going to be the bench press, which seems to have stalled badly. Though according to the 1rm calcualtor you showed me I should be able to scrape out 120kg for one rep, I think it's a little optimistic though, but worth a try.

On a side note did some foam rolling just now and nearly everything felt good save my right quadricep that felt like I was being stabbed every time I rolled it, so will work on that too.

8. Princess Haru

Gains in bench seem to be the hardest to get. Usually for powerlifters it is looking at where the sticking points in the 95-100% range are and doing partials, so 3/4 board press, floor press, incline press, and if it's triceps (for me it is, partly) close grip bench, cable or band pushdowns. So much extra training.

With deadlift and squat it really it a lot simpler, the right reps, and right sets, and right recovery and it will usually improve

9. Axelator

Missed the gym today will do todays session tommorow. So will just do muay thai this evening.

Saw a few other people are putting up pics, I've put on only about 4kg in the 7 weeks I've done so far and at the end of this week I'm going to start slimming down again to try get to 77kg. So here's some pics, I dont see much difference to be honest, a bit leaner in the first photo I think.

19th May 77kg
    [​IMG]
    image upload

11th July 82kg[​IMG]
    upload images

I'm 5ft 10.

10. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Looking good man. Not much to say on anything but the results of it all are speaking for what you're doing.

11. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

strength coming on quick Alex, nice one buddy!

quad seperation is awesome too, jelly.

12. Axelator

Bit of a fudge up this week. Missed my bench and squat work out went out sat and did drinks, drugs, all bad stuff.

I was going to take a deload week anyway, so I don't feel so bad, but obviously need to get back on track this week. I had a practical session for this gym instructor course I was doing today and got to test my 1rm for my bench, managed 115kg, then failed 120kg. So I need to conquer that last 5kg, will try again in a couple of weeks I think.

13. Axelator

Mon: Just Muay THai
    Tues:
    5x2 155kg Deadlift
    5x5 90kg Bent Over Rows
    3x10 Pull Ups

Gave Romanian Deadlifts a rest today as my lower back was very stiff and sore last week and I think it was bad form on the RDL that caused it, not keeping my lower back neutral.

3 Mile run 23:40

14. Axelator

JUst Muay Thai today.

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Do you feel like your run times have suffered? You were killing 5 miles at near 7 minute mile pace last month which is proper fast, now you're down near 8 minutes over just 3 miles. Just a blip or have you dropped the cardio whilst you've been concentrating on strength? (sorry if I've missed you mentioning it).

Mitch

16. Princess Haru

I imagine if this is cardio post lifting then it won't be as fast as a fresh run on a rest day

17. Axelator

I think my cardio has suffered a bit, I weigh more now than I did before and am running a lot less. I also am not pushing myself much on the runs to be honest, I can't say for sure how much it has been affected till I start running again properly. I think it will come back quickly though.

Gym:
    Bench Press 5x5 100kg
    Military Press 5x5 60kg
    Dumbell Bench PRess 1x7 2x6 35kg
    Dips 3x5 35kg

I think the week off has helped a lot, I was struggling with my Bench before, but today I finished all sets at 100kg and still had a bit left in the tank. I was always sceptical about deload weeks but now I'm a believer.

Muay Thai tonight also.

18. Axelator

Sorry, getting a bit lazy updating this.

Friday: Muay Thai

Saturday:
    Squat 4x5 137.5kg 1x5 140kg
    Front Squat 3x5 95kg

Was just going to do 5x5 at 137.5kg but then some Body Builder with his incredibly hot gf came over to work in with me on the squat rack and I wanted to show off with the three twenties on each side. Sadly I wanted to impress the BB as much as the hot girl, I spend too much time in the gym.

Sunday: Resting

Edit: Just for the record I was squatting much more than the Body Builder, functional muscle ftw! Even got a 'wow' out of his girl when I went for the 140kg.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  19. Axelator

Just Muay Thai today.

20. Axelator

Gym
    5x2 160kg Deadlifts
    5x5 90kg Bent OVer Rows
    3x5 Romanian Deadlifts 70kg
    3x 10 Pul Ups

5 Mile Run 37:47