14 weeks to 'good strength'

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Axelator, May 25, 2012.

1. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

Bench Press day today, probably my least favourite day at the gym even if it is the easiest.

Gym
    5x5 Bench Press 92.5kg
    Military Press struggled a bit I did 2x5 at 62.5kg, then 1x3 62.5kg before lowering the weight and finishing 2x5 at 60kg.
    Dumbell Press 3x8 60lb (the dumbells are in lb for some reason at my gym)
    Dips 3x5 30kg

Muay Thai 7:30-9:30
    5-7 rounds on the bag for 3 minutes
    15 mins skipping
    15 mins static stretching
    5x 4 min rounds on pads

Diet
    Oats + honey + Cinnamin and a protein shake for breakfast.
    2:1 carb to protein shake during gym session
    Frijj shake after gym.
    3 rice cakes with natural peanut butter
    200g lean mne steak fried with tomatoes, oinion and herbs
    Now I'm about to cook some chicken and rice
    Will probably have some scrambled eggs before bed too.

Got called sexy by a random girl on the way back from training which was the highlight of the day, I already know but it's nice to get it reafirmed every now and again.

2. Axelator

Training
    Gym AM
    3 Rounds shadow boxig
    6 rounds bagwork boxing only. Alternated between fighting on the inside then next round on the outside.
    1 Round on teardrop bag just working headmovement
    2 rounds shadow boxing

Run PM. 5 Miles took 39:14.

Diet
    Breakfast: 3 rice cakes with natural peanut butter
    Snack: 150g lean steak mince fried in butter with garlic, mixed herbs, oinion, tomatoes and parmesan cheese on top.
    Lunch: 4 protein cookies (made from 2 scoops of whey protein, 2 tbsp of natural peanut butter mix together add a little water and put in microwave for 30s).

For dinner gonna have some kebabs filled with grilled burger
    Then gonna have some eggs before bed. Probably scrambled with spinanch and parmesan cheese.

Tommorow is squats! My favourite weight day and the hardest.

3. Axelator

Just got back from the gym

Gym am
    Squats 5x5 122.5kg (Way too easy, basically was done in 10 mins)
    Front Squats 3x5 75kg, again very easy
    Bicep Curls 3x10 60lb
    Plank 3:10
    Side Planks 1:10

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  4. Axelator

Ok so rest of todays training.

Bodyweight: 78kg.

Muay THai PM
    30 mins skipping
    Stretching
    4x4 min rounds on pads
    15 mins clinch work
    Stretching

5. Axelator

On a side note not looking forward to next week where I guess I will have to do Weds Thurs Fri strength training in a row.

6. Axelator

Rest day today.

7. Axelator

3/6/2012

Muay Thai
    30 mis skippinf
    4x4 min rounds on pads
    20 mins clinch
    Some other stuff

Thai sessions are easy atm as no one from our gym is fighting any time soon, and my coach is about to go to Thailand for a while.

8. Axelator

4/6/2012

Today was meant to be a gym day, did't happen as my gym is closed due to it being a bank holiday.

Went for a 5 mile run hit a new PR or this route at 38:31.
    THen did about 30 mins of stretching.

Diet is normal, except I'm off the loading stage of creatine now and am just taking 5g a day.

9. Axelator

Just a 5 mile run and stetching today. Three days back to back strength training tommorow. Not looking forward to that, thanks Queen.

5 Mile Run: 39:08

10. Axelator

Gym AM
    Deadlifts 5x5 135kgg (struggled to keep core tight and felt my lower back curving a little)
    Bent Over Rows: 5x5 75kg
    Romanian Deadlifts 5x5 80kg
    Hyper extensions:20kg 3x15
    Plank : 3:10
    Side PLanks: 1:10

Muay Thai PM
    Bagwork
    Stretching
    Pads
    Clinching

11. Axelator

This always happens when I come up to DLing twice my weight. I really struggle to keep the curve in my lumbar spine. It's really annoying as the rest of the lift feels fairly easy. I hope my RDL and good mornings will help.

12. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

try to identify where the actual problem is along your spine, as there are plenty of places where the issue can be, and if one goes, the entire back rounds. a T-spine extension deficit, for example, is more easily fixable with horizontal pulls like rows than with good mornings. a form check video should make it instantly identifiable, just check at which point you round first.

13. Axelator

It;'s just as I pull the weight from the ground I feel my lumbar spine flex a little, it's not rounded but I cant hold it completely rigid. The rest of the lift is easy. I was actually turning my head 90 degrees to look in the mirror while I did the deadlifts and thats how I know it was flexing a little.

14. Fish Of Doom

if it's not actively entering flexion then you probably have nothing to worry about, as it's almost impossible to do max effort pulls with a straight back anyway. i generally have good form, but i'd probably want to shoot myself if i filmed one of my current deadlift work sets. that said, if i had to make a guess i'd say it's probably the T-spine not stabilizing perfectly (so the hips and abdomen rise while the ribcage stays put), which is pretty normal, and easily correctable with mid-back strengthening (pull-ups, rows, etc).

15. Axelator

Yeah I think that might be it, my hips rise a little fast so then the curve in my lumabr spine is lost a bit as I pull it of the ground.

I would film myself but I go to kind of a gangster gym in the literal sense and would have to explain why I was filming my form and not just screaming and lifting weights topless like everyone else.

16. Fish Of Doom

haha!

yeah, try holding a light pull before you actually lift (for about a second or so), to give your entire back time to align properly after the weight of the barbell enters the equation.

17. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Wait just read one of your earlier posts, did I read correctly 20g creatine monohydrates?

18. Axelator

No you didnt read correctly, 20g for 7 days originally to load it, now im on 5g a day.

19. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Ah so you did the 'loading phase' for the creatine?

20. Axelator

Yeah, I know its debateable about whether it's nesscercary or not. I am also cycling it which is debatable again. However it has been proven to be effective and safe used this way so thats why im using this method.