12 second pushups...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Noib Da Mutt, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt Banned Banned

really good for muscle control...

basically... you count 12 seconds down, then 12 seconds up, and that's one rep...

try to do 5... your arms will feel like ruber... but you have to push and try for 3 sets... 3 sets of 3 or 5 for starters... then you'll get better at it and go to 6, then 8, and so on...

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

If you want to get good at doing slow push ups, this is the way to go, especially if you want to be nice and sore the next day. However, if you actually want to get something from your training, try something else like plyometric push ups.

3. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

What exactly is 'muscle control'? during a few years of avid reading of fitness articles, I've never heard that term used before.

4. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

sounds interesting adam. How do you do them? i need to try them out.

5. Tika

Tika New Member

Check out THIS thread....:D, or run a search on plyometric pushups in the health and fitness forum...theres lots of pushup threads.

6. Ad McG

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  7. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

i thought muscle control was being able to control your muscles... which i can do.. see how i type ;)

anyways.. those pressups are good but seriously sore arms after thou.. and i can only do girly press ups.. - ones where your on your knees not you toes.. yes i'm a wuss ;)

8. Noib Da Mutt

I actually got this from an instructor Master Feign, he makes his students do them at his school, I tried them and they actually really work...

Basically what I meant by muscle control was stabilizer muscles because it puts an emphasis on all the muscle groups used as you go up and down because of the slow movement, you're not just shooting youself up as with a regular push up...
    and your chest feels it more than regular push ups...

kind of remind me of the negatives of the push up world...

9. Knight_Errant

Um no, exactly the same muscles are involved and that's NOT how you use negatives.

10. Ad McG

You never seem to understand what anyone else says. How do they "really work"? Yes they might get difficult, but what is the point? What does doing them actually achieve? I also highly doubt that doing them more slowly works more stabilisers, it's still the same movement, they just aren't under tension for as long. You would be better off doing plyometrics because these will only make you sore and give little else in the way of results.

11. Noib Da Mutt

how do you know you won't get results? Have you tried them? I have, and many other people have, and they do work... I'm sorry if I don't have a million websites off hand to conferm this, I don't get workouts from the net, I get them from people who use them and say they work...

and KE, negatives are basically when you slowly lower and attempt to control more weight than you can actually lift, with someone pulling the weight back up for you, so it is similar in a sense to these becaus eof the slow controlled movement...

12. Ad McG

I think KE knows what negatives are. These pushups are how not to do them.

There are other people around who know plenty more about training than you. Ask any good strength coach in the world, whether they would have you do these or plyometrics, they will all give the same answer. Just because it is hard and makes you sore, does not mean it "works". What exactly is the idea with doing these, what possible results do you actually want?

Get this into your head - there are good ways, better ways and best ways of training. Good training will get you there, over a long time. The best training will get you as far as you can go in the least time.

Try taking peoples advice for a change instead of taking exercises from a "master" who doesn't have years of knowledge on the subject of strength training, then sticking up for them without any real proof.

13. Knight_Errant

I know what a negative is- and what you've posted is exactly the wrong way to use them.

14. Noib Da Mutt

don't tell me that i'm wrong without giving me proof, you guys are site addicts, give me some links supporting what you say since you expect it of me...

15. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Noib, I cant help but think this excercise is along the same lines as your hopping-for-a-mile thing.
    Now dont get me wrong, I admire people with fertile imaginations, but lets keep the fantasy out of the health and fitness forum, eh? Leave it for the people who know what they're talking about. :)

Hu Fa-Gui

16. Noib Da Mutt

look, the dude that told me is considered the 3rd most deadly man in the world, I'm sticking with it unless someone cantell me or give me a link showing how the excercise is either 1.harmful, or 2. useless...

17. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

I bet if he did proper push up techniques, he'd be higher than 3rd ;)

And can you prove that he is third?

Not 103rd?

EDIT: and how do they know he is deadly??? Do they give him a group of people to test himself on?? He has to kill a certain number in a certain amount of time to get a higher rating???

18. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Superslow training SuperStinks for athletes. Unless you're a bodybuilding, where T.U.T. is an important influencing factor. Athletes (which I consider martial artists to be) need to seek improved performance, not improved soreness.

Noib, how will this help me, if I do them on Monday and can't properly use "muscle control" until Thursday because my arms are too sore? Won't that interfere with my martial arts training?

Also, Noib, where would I put these in my routine, before using weights, after, or on a day by itself? And what type of mesocycle would this fit into best? Hypertrophy? Absolute Strength? Dynamic Strength? Would this tempo be applicable to other calisthenics? These are genuine questions which I'd most appreciate an answer to. Really, no joking around.

19. Ad McG

All we ever give you is evidence and proof, and you're asking us to give you more? I just give up on you, seriously.

Has this guy killed people? Who decides who is "3rd most deadly person in the world"?

Would you do us all the honour of giving out your age for once please. At least you being 14 would be an excuse for some of the ridiculous posts you make and we could all hope that you grow up a bit.

20. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

I think noib does, because of his uber cool training techniques...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.