10th planet juijutsu vs. standard BJJ

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by roninmaster, Nov 29, 2009.

1. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

now before you go off thinking this is yet another style vs style debate,thats not what im getting at. I want to know whats the main difference between gracie style juijutsu and 10th planet. I heard something on the internet about the gracies not caring for 10th planet or something like that but i have no idea if theres any truth to that. My MMA gym does standard BJJ so my techniques are more basic. so i dont really have any exposure to 10th planet stuff. aside from my coach losing to a 10th planet fighter at UFC 106 (george Sotiropoulos)

2. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

It's just a different way to do it. Eddie's half-guard, butterfly guard, and rubber guard form an intricate system that allows you to be offensive at the same time as being defensive.

He's the first to tell you though, nothing works 100% of the time, his stuff just gives you more options to utilize.

3. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

Did a google search about it. Really didn't learn much. No local schools here either, so I can't go check it out.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Eddie talks about big ass in his instructionals. That keeps you awake to really focus.

5. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Bravo's stuff is interesting but I'm always put off by the hyperbole and Joe Rogan being such a staunch fan. I'm sure it suits some folks better but I don't think it's as revolutionary as it is sometimes claimed. Also, I can't say I really find calling positions things like 'crack head control' or 'Jiu Claw' to be particularly appealing.

6. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Wonky work off the back. Lots of little tricks for control and escape. Google or youtube submissions 101. I've never been in a 10th Planet school, but I do use a lot of their stuff for guard. Gogoplata from everyhere. If it clicks with you, it's mean stuff, if it doesn't, it's probably going to be about like trying to wristlock people.

7. YellowFury

YellowFury Valued Member

10th planet is strictly no-gi. Well, they call it nogi but it's technically half gi since they wear gi pants. The system is simply eddie bravo's game, and it's something people want to learn. It requires a degree of flexibility to use and won't necessarily work for all body types. Eddie's only claim to fame is beating royler gracie at adcc, but he's never been very successful with his game after that. :bang: If you're into nogi stuff it's worth at least checking out i suppose. If you're just looking for grappling in general, bjj would do fine.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Sotiropoulos

Started off with the Machados, so not a pure 10th planet guy, but him and eddie seem kinda tight.

http://www.10thplane****ch.com/2009...nterview-w-10th-planet-watchs-rhasaan-orange/

''10th Planet Watch Correspondent, Rhasaan Orange sits in for a fire side chat with TUF veteran, and UFC stand out, George Sotiropoulos. George discusses, his future with the UFC, his training with Matt Serra, incorporating 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu into his game, and his upcoming relocation to Vancouver Washington''

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Heres a 10th Planet JJ guy doing a move, where he got DQ'd because they didnt know what it was ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ezlkcrs2oo"]YouTube- 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu: Electric Chair Submission in Competition.[/ame]

Explanation of the move:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pegu58bFyM"]YouTube- 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu: The Electric Chair: Submission and Sweep[/ame]

Funnily enough, I pulled off this move 2 weeks ago. I'm not very good with submissions, so I just grab stuff and hope it hurts....didnt know it existed.

10. Stanislovas

Stanislovas Valued Member

So that's what this is. I was reading a book a while back that said things like "Once you get him in The Zombie, trap his arm so that he won't attempt a Baby Monkey", or some such thing.

11. JSun

JSun Valued Member

I like the rubber guard because it affords you better control than just double wrists. Once you get the hand trapped to the mat it's just a matter of stepping through the system and dealing with the stack. Twister side control is a beast, but not all tournaments allow neck cranks.

12. blanker

blanker Valued Member

its a nogi system. the rubber guard is its main claim to fame and in its day worked well but people are sort of starting to work it out now. its another type of guard and if it suits your body type it works very well, theres a guy in my gym who is very good with it and for example im not as i have very big legs so i play the open guard alot, were as he never does.

the thing i find ironic is bravo's open distain for catch wrestling yet most of the stuff in his system like the lock down and twister are catch wrestling techniques.

i like the10 planet stuff but at the end of the day its just another bjj game no more revolutionary then say marcelo garciers. its just got joe rogan calling every sub in the ufc that works a 10th planet technique.

at my gym theres brazilian with a proper old school game, load of rolling kimura's from a single leg weird key locks from north and south ect and he schools everyone so imo its about the person not the system.

13. DDale

DDale Valued Member

10th planet style concentrates a lot more on no gi they look at working from underhooks and leg lock downs, the "whip up", twister and rubber guard. They try to teach you not to rely on sleeve and collar grips too much. All in all its good stuff, most of the progressive schools are already putting a lot of Eddie Bravos stuff on their syllabus. It works, so why not learn it?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2019
  14. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

I babble about this on my FAQ, as beginners seem so prone to getting over-excited about 10th Planet. This is the short answer:

A BJJ black belt called Eddie Bravo gradually moved away from the gi during his rise up the ranks. This led him to build up a series of techniques around a bottom position he calls 'rubber guard', for which flexibility is very important. Bravo also has a method for the top game, as detailed in his book, Mastering the Twister.

Bravo's approach to the top and bottom positions in BJJ has become so intricate that he's given the whole system its own name, 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu: it is also the name he uses for his growing organisation of schools. Unlike BJJ, 10th Planet JJ never uses the gi jacket, and Bravo also has his own separate terminology for all the techniques.

For the long answer, see here.

15. Bomber

Bomber Valued Member

10th Planet JiuJitsu is full of odd variations of standard techniques with stupid names. Eddie Bravo is a competent grappler who got lucky once against Royler Gracie. For me it is a pointless system. You can't beat good old fashioned fundamental skills.

Plus Bravo is an overated muppett, so I would consign it to the dust bin and learn Gracie Barra or Gracie Jiu Jitsu.

16. DDale

DDale Valued Member

Woah thats a pretty harsh interpretation. I think there is a lot of good stuff in there especially for no Gi and MMA.

17. Kurtka Jerker

Somebody's apparently dug in. With that mindset, you better watch those heel hooks, dude.

18. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

The key question (and I dont know the answer) is if 10th planet is so good that his direct students dominate national competition. Have any of his direct students won first place or even placed at Pan American games or US Nationals?

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Says the dude who's own basic quest to master fundamentals means he will chose a gogoplata over a nice tight armbar?

Eddies stuff is ok, its not the be all and end all, and if you only focus on it, theres a tonne of good non-10th planet bjj you may miss. Like a decent passing game......

Plus submissions 101 is so bad its unreal.

20. Kurtka Jerker

Duh. People don't hide from gogoplatas. Everyone can see and escape an armbar. I will take an armbar if it's given, but usually the path of least resistance is to throw an obvious attack with a well known escape or counter (armbar, triangle, ude-garami) and transition to something wonky.
    But really, at this point, I don't catch gogoplata anymore. The people I train with are wise to the rubber guard.. Thanks to that, there tends to be an opening to get butterfly hooks in, cause noone I train with wants to be heavy on me anymore. Again, the butterfly sweep is the obvious attack. The saddle is regularly just given to me as a result.

Fundamentals are great, but they're not specific techniques. They're movements found in specific techniques. If I were on a "basic quest to master fundamentals", I'd be doing every technique I could from every position I could, including the scramble. Oh, wait.