101 reasons mma sucks

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Cosmo Kramer, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

In the past, I've trained with wooden knives, retractable knives, dull knives, but the interest thing about using thick colored chalk with round ends is that you can go full contact and full force. It not only leaves the chalk mark on your uniform, but you will have very large, and many black and blues on your body.

2. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

Another one looking to put together my MA resume... :D :rolleyes:

The BJJ marketing machine strikes again.... :rolleyes:

I answered that here. http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=986450&postcount=439

Now let me ask you guys something. How many times have you been in street fights? How many of your friends are dead as a result?

3. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

Bull.... The overwhelming majority of MAs have little idea what the differences are unless they've been in street fights (and I'm not referring to schoolyard fights).

LOL sure, grab my wrist.... ROFL - This is the funniest thread I've ever had the pleasure to read... :D

Ah, an opinion question.

To me, self-defense is any action, by any means to defend yourself. Therefore, I would define "self-defense training" as that training which includes as many methods as possible to provide the closest approximation to numerous real life scenarios for the purpose of self defense.

In other words, cross training (MMA if you will) that includes weapons, street environmentals, training in all ranges of combat, live sparring, full contact training, etc.

If you NEVER train with your street clothes ON, but always put on a gi, and train barefoot and always do your sparring with gloves, etc. I would say it becomes less and less valuable as you remove more and more variables that one would find in a street fight.

Sure, you have to find a way to train safely, but that's no excuse to exclude much of what makes up a street fight. One should always be looking to find a way to train safely while simulating as close as possible street situations.

I would not consider training solely in BJJ for example, self defense training.

4. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

Its been so long since I've seen a legitimate issue posed that I can't remember them any longer! ROFL (See what happens when you hit your 40s) ;)

5. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

ROFL... the fact that you believe that learning to pugil stick fight properly trains you for a street fight speaks volumes to your lack of street fight experience.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  6. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

I'm just being polite and responding to those that addressed me. I couldn't respond last night as I was busy training... ;)

7. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

If you believed I was serious with that post, you really need your sarcasmometer fixed. And thank for finally answering what you think self-defense training is. I was simply trying to get an idea of where you're coming from with your arguments. For the most part I agree with what your posting, though I think the practicality of some of it is a little bit of a stretch. All I'm trying to say is don't make broad generalizations about mma training. The vast majority of those of ust that train in it actually understand that there's more to self-defense training than just grappling, clinch, striking barefoot in a ring. Also, if you actually believe BJJ's goal is to take the fight to the ground you've been exposed to some really shoddy BJJ. It exists to know what to do should the fight go to the ground, not to take it there. Any school that tells you that you SHOULD take a real (not ring) fight to the ground is just as bad as schools that don't teach alive training as far as I'm concerned.

8. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

I want you to quote me the penal code that proves this, because I know it is not the case here in MD.

9. MadMonk108

Sorry, I tend to take the fun out of things when I start applying logic.

10. MadMonk108

Strawman once again.

No one has suggested that you should not train in knife fighting and knife defense.

It is just a cold fact of reality that if you are facing multiple armed attackers, things are not likely to go your way.

Please review basic debating and logical fallacies before continuing this argument.

11. MadMonk108

Enough.

I'm a bouncer and I often grew up in places where I was the ethnic minority.

Strawman again.

No one is saying the MMA sparing is equivalent to a street fight.

12. MadMonk108

Strawman.

No one has refused to acknowledge the difference between ring fighting and self-defense.

Engaging in limited rules sparring to develop skills and attributes in a resistive environment is necessary however.

I will say it again (and probably multiple more times), if you cannot throw a jab in a restricted environment such as a boxing match, then you are not likely to be able to use a finger jab successfully in much freer environment of a street fight.

Please stop creating strawmen, and actually deal with the debate at hand.

13. MadMonk108

Strawman.

No one has disagreed with you on this.

14. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

its important to remember that the street is covered in lava and broken glass, and that chainsaw weilding reverse racists roam the sidewalks on a regualr basis followed by rabid wolverines.

15. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

The winner by glass and lava!

16. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

Post less, train more. Then you'll understand.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  17. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

A serious question MM. Back in my bouncing days I rarely saw any fights turn into grapplefests. One person on the ground getting beaten yes, but both on the ground, very rarely.

Do you think the grappling mindset & it's TV popularity have in anyway influenced or even encouraged a shift in fighting tactics or mentality?

I've not done any door, or security work for a good 10 years so I can't really comment.

18. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Reverse racists? Is that like KKK men walking backwards? Or people who are only nice to you if you're from a different race?

19. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Yes, because we all know how utterly useless and ineffective a good straight punch is compared to the deadly eye gouge by ink pen. You are so full of crap at this point, it ain't even funny, neb. And you didn't answer my question from several pages ago... how do you realistically practice your self-defense to make sure it works?

Citation please. I'm a licensed attorney, and I call "********" on this. Self-defense is self-defense; as long as you have a subjective belief you're in danger in imminent physical harm, it doesn't matter if you roll on the ground or stand up. So, if you can't provide a a statute or case, sit down and be quiet and don't talk smack about things you know nothing about.

20. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

It was a counterpoint to neb's utterly asinine assertion that somehow that little inkpen game was of any real value. DJ has the better idea.

And thanks for getting rid of the little twerp, Saz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.