1 Week Intensive

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by pgm316, Feb 17, 2006.

1. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I'm off work all next week :)

With having a full week of not a lot to do, I'm wondering if theres any intensive 1 week routines I can do that won't just lead to overtraining :confused:

Or just stick with the normal 3 day a week routine...

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Just a guess.. but I would think you can probably train more than normal, if you can force yourself to sleep more than normal.. :confused:

3. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

What types of things are you looking for?

Do you want weights, or cardio etc.?

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Good questions. Firstly, I can and will sleep more, thats a given! :D

I should have been more specific, weights is the main thing I want to do more, but I usually do 20-30 mins of cardio work per gym visit.

I suppose my question would be: What would your routine be if you was to fit 5 gym sessions in one week?

5. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Personally, if I had the luxury of a week off.. :cry: .. I would alterante between various compound and upper body stuff mon, wed, fri. Lower body and ab/core stuff tue, thur, and maybe sat if I had it in me. I would try to increase the number of sets that I did by up to 50%, but decrease the number of reps, to stop 2 or 3 before failiure. After this I would take two days off..

6. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Sounds like a plan. I'll do my normal thing Mon-Wed-Fri, and fit some lighter/ core exercises in Tue & Wed.

Thanks
    :)

7. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I'd probably go with some conditioning exercises along with my usual weight training.

1 week isnt very long for weights and you cant expect any dramatic gains in either strength or size.

A good conditioning cycle in the mornings might be good.

3x3mins of skipping the rope
    3x2 mins of Burpees (10-15 per 30 seconds)
    3x2 mins of inteval hill sprints
    Tabata plyo pushups
    etc

Finished up with a nice long jog.

This will really drain you. Not having to go to work will give you plenty of time to recover.

8. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

I would be tempted to up the volume ever so slightly, but then just let the extra recovery time do the rest.

9. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

me too. if you have time off you can eat more :D and sleep more :D

if it were me i would pick one lift ( for the purpose of this experiment the military press ;) ) and add do it three times in one week. once 5x5, once 3(reps)x6(sets) and then one time going for 1RM straight press followed by 2 push presses for 6-10 sets depending on fatigue.

guarentee you add some serious kilo's on to that lift (and if you do choose military press that makes you more of a man)

10. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

You guys just don't know me well, my middle names should be "eating sleeping" :D But true, I will do more than ever no doubt :)

Plenty of good advice on the thread, thanks people :) I shall increase the volume and try and use the week as a plateau busting week.

iam I like the idea of picking the one exercise and adding to it, might do it with a couple!

11. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Take the opportunity to try out something new like Cycling

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Cyclings not new, people have been doing it for centuries!!!!

;)

I was thinking about getting a bike, but I'd want to drive somewhere with the bike to use it. I'd rather be surrounded by at least a ton of metal to be on the road! :D