1 steps

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by abby, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

1. Think about positioning. Do you want to be inside their punching arm or outside, or do you want to step back? Being inside gives lots of open targets but they can nail you with the other hand so you'd better be fast. Being outside leaves you fewer targets but keeps you away from their other arm.

2. Think about your partner. Their size should influence your choices re inside/outside.

3. Think about techniques. Once you've decided on position and partner, think about what techniques are practical from that position against that size of partner by a person with your strengths/weaknesses.

4. Practice a range of different techniques and see what works for you. What feels right in given situations? One step is where you get to really explore your art, so take your time and think about it.

5. Ask what your Instructor likes. I think 1 step should be street applicable and practical. No disrespect to the previous poster but if someone tries tekken moves I'm not going to be impressed. Short. Sharp. Profficient. Practical.

I don't think there really are any set combinations; I do a throat grab/leg sweep takedown that works well for me but others don't like it.

Edit to add: Don't think about the counters, think about the initial block. You see too many people doing some crappy block that wouldn't stop anything then leaping off into fantastic counters, none of which will work if the reality is you've just been punched in the face because of your rubbish block.

If the initial block is fast and powerful you can follow up with almost any basic technique.

mitch

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  2. I think we need to know 1 step from blue belt. We recently did a bit and I really enjoyed it.

I agree with other posters about the practical effectiveness of techniques. I know there are many plus sides and goals to MA aside from self defence but I don't want to get to a high grade and not have the tools to protect myself if needed. If not I might aswell take up ballroom dancing.

1 step seems to provide the oppotunity to learn these practical techniques. We don't learn locks, throws or sweeps anywhere else as far as I know. It also gives the chance for a little creativeness, which is why I want to come up with my own techniques and not just use someone elses.

The combo I chose when we had a go was:
    -step to ouside of punch
    -hooking block to attackers wrist (keep hold)
    -turning kick off front leg to attackers stomach then immediately use same leg for hooking kick to back of head, while pulling their punching hand toward you.

Had an idea for one involving an elbow lock but we were only allowed strikes.

(Someone is bound to tell me the above combo isn't effective, but hey it was my first go).

3. Xue Fang

Xue Fang Bluebelt

:eek: *sheepish mode* Sorry mods! I didn't realise there was another 1 step topic around! I tried searching the forums but my computer is suffering some problems whenever I get onto the site for the moment, so I couldn't see the results of my search. :confused:

On with the one step advice!!!

4. odwyerrt

odwyerrt Valued Member

In our club we just do them whenever, it dosnt really depend on your grade but moreso on your attendance! Also we arent taught set movements by our instructor, although senior members are always glad to get you started. It gets a bit frustrating sometimes but the instructors always ready to criticise/give advice. I remember once I attempted to counter a punch with a back hooking kick. The following 5 minutes consisted of a lecture to the class about practicality...

I have always found that its better to keep one steps brutally simple, as you are training to defend yourself. However, at a grading you are expected to show a certain level of proficiency and skill. Emphasis is always put on showing control, so throwing your partner halfway across the hall is frowned upon. As a rule, I never try anything too complicated e.g. kicks to the head, as I am still learning to defend myself (although i am more than capable of delivering said kicks!). Also, I think it is important to mix up hand and leg techniques, especially in gradings.

Heres a few one steps Ive been knocking around:

-Outside forearm block(L)-Uppercut to chest(R)-Uppercut to jaw(R)
    -Sweep(L)-Kick to groin(L)-Knee to face(R)
    -Punch to jaw(outside parry)(R)-Uppercut to ribs(L)-Elbow to solar plexus(R)
    -Knife hand to wrist(R)-Punch to groin(L)-Throat thrust(L)

My "leggy" techniques mainly consist of crescent kicks to the wrist combined with sidekicks although im not a big fan. They are more technical and for gradings.

Any combos or tips anyone?

5. KO_Artist

KO_Artist New Member

1 steps are in just about every style of martial arts
    i think

6. shotsy

shotsy New Member

What school - type

We have to know 7 three steps

1 a left io knife hand block
    b right io knife hand block
    c left io knife hand block right middle punch
    d left io knife hand block right upper lip punch

2 a left io knife hand block
    c left io knife hand block right knife hand strike to neck
    d left grab hold right neck grab knee into solar plexus

3 a left io knife hand block
    c right push through-spinthrough-left elbow to solar plexus

4 a left io knife hand block
    c left io knife hand block grab right elbow to right ribs right knuckle to tempel

5 a left io knife hand block
    c left io knife hand block grab righthand grab elbow stepthrough takedown
    d left hold onto wrist right kick to chest right punch to face

6 a right io knife hand block
    b left io knife hand block
    c right io knife hand block and push away
    d left right punch to ribs

7 a right io knife hand block
    b left io knife hand block
    c right io knife hand blockgrab twist
    d l hand into armpit push their arm over yours
    e knee to solar plexus

Hope this help or try this website http://www.jungstkd.com/sparring.htm

just make sure these are the same as yours before test :confused:

7. ronaldk

ronaldk Valued Member

what exactly is a one-step? i've heard this term a lot, and since we speak speanish here... i don't really get what it means.

8. Smokey13

Smokey13 Valued Member

At my school in NSW we used to do freestyle 1-step by making our own combos etc. now in adelaide its very predefined by the instructor:(

9. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

we have 10 one steps, and 3 sets of 3-2-1 steps

10. shotsy

shotsy New Member

One step is just that- one punch one block/reaction
    Three step is three punches ushully defended by three blocks/one (set of) reaction ie. block punch punch kick or block punch

11. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

I was hoping Matt Sylvester would post in this thread, I asked a similar question here in my very first post and he emailed me with some excellent ideas. Maybe if you're not after any specific instructions, and ask nicely, he'll share some of his wisdom again? :D

12. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

do you guys have to come up with your own combinations or are you given combinations by your instructor?

13. Azeotrope

Azeotrope Valued Member

As 10th and 9th gup, we do preset combinations. After that we have to come up with our own, based on what works well for us and to help us be flexible in adapting to potential self-defense situations.

14. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

same here. first there are preset combinations, then students come up with combos of their own. it's better for them that way.

15. We have to come up with our own one steps.
    Two and three step sparring is, on the whole, dictated by a set pattern of moves.

16. TKDTraditional

TKDTraditional Valued Member

I like the idea of developing step-sparring routines based on techniques in patterns. Afterall, patterns are simulated defense and counterattack against imaginary opponents. Step-sparring a student's first experience with a real opponent.

Patterns also mean you don't have to ask yourself, "Now what's #5?" Call it "Yul-Gok" (or whatever follows your style of TKD) and think of what new techniques that pattern introduces and it's easier to recall how it was adapted to step-sparring. Even attacks can be adopted from the same patterns.

Some schools have beginning 1-, 2- and 3-step-sparring, then intermediate then advanced. I don't think you have to wait for Red or Black Belt patterns to find advanced step-sparring techniques. But, you get the idea.

In my thinking, 2-step-sparring involves a hand-attack and a kick. I also like to incorporate whatever kick is used in a pattern.

17. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Yes sounds smart to me! I think it is funny that so many schools do 1 step sparring using only a punch with the right fist & even funnier when they step back 1st & announce they are coming & even funnier when they come at you in a formal stance. I am not sure that this helps with SD, in fact it can be even detremental if the attacker just "strikes a pose" unless they are Madona!:cool:

18. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Thats rite!

19. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

agreed

20. divine spiral

divine spiral shiiiiiiiiiiiiii-zack!!

in my dojang only three and two step are prespecified.one step is improvised and only done from blue tag upwards