1 big Flaw in Last Samurai

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kof_Andy, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

There were 1 big flaw in last samurai, did anyone else notice besides me? Give it a try, i'll say what it is after you guys try to answer this trivia question. ;)

-Hint- It related to Samurai ritual :Angel:

2. 2ral

2ral New Member

....they never hit tom cruise for real if u look at the fights in slow motion you will see him feigning everything....ah well im pretty sure thats what most people do, not practical to have the star of your movie with a gash on his forehead for most of the film.
    i dont think i guessed it right thhough you were probably talking about something else....:rolleyes:

oooh ooh i know none of the japanese people actually spoke english in real life....but magically they learnt it when tom cruise came along

3. Adam

Adam New Member

The flaw was obviously that they invited Tom Cruise to act in the film. Or am I way off?

4. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Haha funny Adam, but no thats not it. Im talking about ritual error, and a big one too. I'm not talking about fighting etc. Keep guessing people.

5. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

First or last suicide scenes maybe? I know its not called suicide, but its to preserve honor I'm not sure on the term. Was done then? Thats my only guess

And I'm still trying to figure out Adams hatred for Tom Cruise....have you seen Last Samurai Adam? Hes pretty good in it

Last edited: Dec 23, 2003
  6. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Your on the right track paratus. Is called seppuku, but what exactly was done inpropertly.

7. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

No rotation when the blade was stabbed into the stomach? I think its supposed to disembowel the person

My other guess is in the last one Cruise stabbed the samurai for him instead of standing to the side sword ready in case the samurai couldn't

Sorry, I don't know much about samurai custom

8. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Not quiet, the person helping is call Kaishaku. The person doing the suicide is suppose to choose someone close to you, your best friend, or someone your trust with high proficient in kenjutsu to be Kaishaku. There job is to easy the suffering by doing 1 quick blow, after the seppuku. Your so very very close paratus....
    -hints- However what did they do to the head?

9. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

Arrrrgh! :D I can't remember! It'll come to me I swear hmmmm.....

10. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

Did they just leave it on the ground? or didn't put it back with the body? :confused:

11. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Besides the beaheading I noticed that he just stabbed him self instead of gutting himself.
    From the beheading I noticed he took his head right as he stabbed himself.

I'd have to see it again and really pay attention. Was it really that much of an error?

12. Disciple

Disciple New Member

The error was not so much when he cut, b/c a cut could be made at anytime as instructed by whomever commits seppuku. I believe the error was that the head was completely removed from the body, when I deally it should have been SLIGHTLY attached to make it roll strait down and hide the face, while keeping it on the body.

13. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Bah Disciple beat me to it :). I noticed it too but didnt make a big deal of it. Also beheading was not a very desirable way to die, it was a slave's death. To leave a small amount of skin atached was to keep it from being a beheading and saving your honor.

14. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

In that case, at least they kept it real in the Harry Potter movie.

15. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

That wasn't a flaw, maybe Tom wans't supposed to be the greatest swordsman ever. A tiny flap? Not easy me thinks.:D

16. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Yup Disciple got the right answer! Ding Ding Ding.
    Cutting the head all the way, so it roll all over is an exection, not seppuku. The proper cutting for Kaishaku should only be done about 70% through the neck, not all the way. It should be done in a manner where you kill the person with 1 quick stroke, without cutting through the head completely.

17. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Haha, I can't remember that part. Now you have me mad and watnting to see it again :p

18. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

No shame in watching it again. I watch it 5 times in theater, and 1 time at home watching a **** poor quality verison.

19. khafra

khafra New Member

I don't know if that was exactly an error, though. I mean, you wouldn't want to partially sever vertebrae and leave the guy paralyzed but still alive and with full sensation, that would suck.
    I mean...
    How many times did they practice for this, anyway? Any time you do test cutting you go all the way through the bamboo.

20. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

After a while you can learn to pull a cut. I've done this a couple of times when demonstrating what an attacker would be doing during katas. Some time people dont get out of the way and you need to slam the breaks. Im pretty sure the same thing can be done half way through some ones kneck.