Ninjutsu (and other styles) in the streets

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by ompus, Oct 22, 2006.

1. ompus

ompus New Member

Hello all
    I'm trying to decide which fighting style to train
    I must admit that I'm a total newbie, I only trained ninjutsu for like 2 months and BJJ for one year, when I was very young.

The main styles that I'm interested in (and that I know martial art schools in my city which train them) are Ninjutsu, Hung Gar and Taekwondo.

I'm mainly looking for something that can work in the streets, something that I can compete with other people in competitions, and if possible an art that has something envolved with weapons.

I used to like ninjutsu while I trained it, it seemed to have a nice balance between speed and power, and the attacks looked useful.
    Hung Gar mainly interests me because of the competitions and the speed (I may be wrong, but here in Brazil I hear more of Hung Gar competitions than of Ninjutsu/Taekwondo ones).
    And lastly, Taekwondo seens interesting because my cousin does it and he keeps saying that it's the best style for street self-defence, but I'm not really into kicks and such, I think that attacks using elbows and hands would make me feel more interested.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Okay. First off, ninjutsu does not do competition. That is why you do not see it advertised. Secondly, if you want to spend 5 minutes gearing up to do one kick, then TKD is for you, so go for it.

But to put it into perspective, TKD would not last 5 minutes on a battlefield. With all the blood, dead bodies and ankle deep in mud, a nice TKD kick will just leave every available artery open and you will die in 4 minutes, 5 if you decide to try to stem the blood loss.

So do what you want. Be a ninja and claim to kill everyone with a spoon, or bounce about a rubber matted room pretending you are the man.

3. ompus

ompus New Member

Thanks for your reply, Immolation =D

That leaves Ninjutsu and Hung Gar!
    Which one uses more the elbows, and which one would do better in the streets (with more than one opponent)? Which one gets you in a better shape?

Thanks foir your attention in advance.

4. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

The only answer to any question of this theme is to visit as many dojo as you can. Visit every dojo in the distance you reasonably think you could travel to regularly, and them some that are too far away anyway.

Spend some time, at least three months looking at your options. Do not make the mistake of visiting one dojo of each or watching one youtube video of each and making a decision. Find a teacher, not a martial art.

Then make a commitment for at least a while (a year or so, perhaps?) before looking around again, but don't be afraid to if you have the urge. With new eyes you may see new things.

This is far to great of a decision to take anyone on the internet's advice.

Except perhaps mine :D

Oh, and be sure you'll get out of it what you put in it. So if you end up with a bad teacher or regrets concerning your training it's YOUR fault.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  5. ompus

ompus New Member

Cool, that sounds like a good idea.
    But I'm 17 already, I every second that passes I feel like I'm losing time.
    Ok it's not really like that!

But what do you mean "look for a teacher"? Does it make such a big difference? I was trying to know if this martial art school which I trained Ninjutsu in is "official" or if they just teach BS. The thing is that I don't really know how to do that.. The quality of the classes seemed good, the training was tought, we learned katas and sequences, etc. But I've never knew if my teacher is good or not, he never gave a demonstration or anything like that, and he often told the class to play one of those fighting games, like the one you get into flex position and you have to make your partner fall, and I heard that most teachers that do that aren't that great.

Oh, and they have a weapon class each 3 or 4 months.
    And eventually they gather in somewhere like a park to train together and stuff like that.

Suggestions? Opinions?

6. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Hi ompus,

Welcome to MAP! Have you tried using the Search function or reading through the numerous threads in the sub-forums?

What about availability of MA schools in your area? If we suggest something and you don't have such a school there wouldn't be much point.

1. Make a list of all MA schools in your area (or as far as you're willing to travel)

2. Cross out any you feel you're 100% sure you're not interested in (since you're looking for weapons that would cancel out MA's like boxing and BJJ)

3. Visit the schools left on your list and watch/try out a class.

4. Then come back and tell us all about it and we may be able to narrow it down for you

7. ompus

ompus New Member

I already have a list of the schools around my area, which are around 6 or 7.
    But I only visited 2 at the moment. I'll make sure to visit other ones later then.

But I wanted to know which MA I'm more interested in before doing that, since some schools only teach like Aikido or Taekwondo. But thanks for the advice, I'll do that in the next days.

8. Shirusawa H.

Shirusawa H. Valued Member

although ninjutsu has no competitions its great fun doing partner stuff with your friends. I do not recommend taekwondo as you dont like it too much, however all martial arts are meant to protect you from the street (dur) (but I dont think of tae kwon do as much of an art since its been watered down over and over, if you find a good school maybe...just my opinion) You might want to try hung gar out first too, its very different from ninjutsu.

9. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

Any chance you can do Muay Thai? It's a good workout and great for your elbows and knees.. Since you seem to like using elbows I'd try that... Either way, you get to wear cool shorts.
    Regards.

10. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Immolation - that is by far the best avatar I've seen on MAP. :)

11. Shae

Shae Valued Member

You are incorrect their are ninjutsu groups that do perform, and took home all of the gold medals For Dallas. I suggest Muay Thai. How tall are you, and how long are your legs compared to arms. All this matters when you pick an art, pick an art which helps you not just because it's available. I have not acted like a jerk in my email, some of these jerks haven't seen life in a long time, seriously look at how many post they post a day and divide that by how much time you and I seriously have.

12. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Ninja forum MODs, I formally request permission to address this post. :D I promise to behave. I'll even clean the carpet.

13. Shae

Shae Valued Member

That is an opinion, if the poster was to visit Dallas he could join me at freddie poole's

14. Shae

Shae Valued Member

If the poster could see in Dallas Muay Thia, like at Freddie Poole's or Guy Megzer's then I believe that he could benefit. All forms have benefit, not one works the same for each indivdual. There is now a new Ninjutsu Group forming in Dallas at the Centrum building.

15. ompus

ompus New Member

Umm Muay Thai seens interesting as well.. Are most Muay Thai teachers trustable? Or there's that "90% of the teachers teach bs" like people say with ninjutsu and some other MAs?

I'm not sure if there's a good Muay Thai school here in Rio de Janeiro, but I'll take a look as soon as I can.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  16. Shae

Shae Valued Member

Your not going to fined that much Muay Thai in Rio, but I'm including a good link, Discuss the fee up front if you like the school, ask what the hours are and specifically who will be you Sensi. www.bjjthailand.com/EN/ABOUT.HTM Try to get under Ari Galo

17. ompus

ompus New Member

Well I can learn BJJ directly from Royler Gracie (his school is fairly near my house).

18. Shae

Shae Valued Member

Rio

it's your path, at least your asking some questions about whats right for you. Your path is made by you and your decision, as it was when you stopped previous practice's with other DOJO's. How commited are you, to life in general? If you make a promise is it good, or is somewhat good. Your dealing with your own self has the same obligations. I promised myself to do this, and stick to it...How high up is this on your priority list, did you just see the New Jeet movie, or are you looking for a life's path which takes years of commitment.

I use to want to know which style was the best, the answer is they are all the best, and that is answer is made true by the fact that in every style their is a person who has personalized the style, and not winning isn't an option.

Which fruit is the best fruit?, Which are is the best car? Which country is the best country?

19. Grimjack

Grimjack Dangerous but not serious

Ninjutsu has kata. But most people think of the term as meaning a single person form. I suspect you are using it in that meaning. When we use the term kata, we mainly mean two- person drills.

Is this school teaching single- person kata? If so, it does not sound like a very legit school to me. If you gave a name of the style we may be of more help.

20. Grimjack

Grimjack Dangerous but not serious

What the heck does that have to do with this thread? The guy lives in Brazil. Why should he care about a ninjutsu group forming in Dallas?

Is your rump still a little tender after MadMonk108 finshed chewing on it in another thread? :D