Alright, complete newbie

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by mickblueeyes, May 31, 2006.

1. mickblueeyes

mickblueeyes Valued Member

I have studied MA for several years off and on in several styles, but have lost my enamorment with what I was studying. I studied Ishin-ryu with Sensei (and Sifu) Michael Gardner at TMU. I studied Wujai Taijiquan with Sifu Russell Sauls (pupil of Sifu Johnny Qwong Ming-Lee, current GM of My Jhong Law Horn).

As a rule, I prefer the fluidity of Chinese martial arts and have a strong distaste for rigid, linear movement. I have studied Chi Kung or Quigong, whichever you prefer both in the studio and on my own. The Japanese art I was always most impressed with was Aikido, again, due to the fluid, circular motions.

I stumbled upon this site because of a video I caught of Taihenjutsu. In searching for training methods for these nifty moves, I found you guys (and gals) :D

So for the sake of virtuous brevity (too late), here are my questions!

1. In some of my more formal training, I had been taught to disregard Ninjutsu and the "ninja" as assasains and thugs with no real root in martial art. However, in reading many of the posts here (hours worth, I mean really, can we get 1 more sticky up there ;) ) I can see that my initial thoughts were incorrect, or at least misguided. So can someone give me a quick breakdown of the legitimate schools of ninjustu (style-wise, not dojo-wise) and their abbreviated lineage. I am, of course, familiar with bujinkan thanks to this site.

2. I perused the www.ninjutsu.com site and found good information. Unfortunately, all the bujinkan dojo are too far from me. How difficult would it be to learn the premises of this style without a teacher? On a side note there is one dojo about 70 miles from me that I am considering driving to once a week. It is the bujinkan school in Chattanooga, TN. So, can I do this, as van Donk's site suggest's without a formal teacher on hand?

3. Can anyone recommend a couple good books on the subject or links to online info that would be of service?

4. How different is Chi/ki viewed in Ninjutsu? Will continuing Taoist styles of Qigong have a negative affect on my Japanese training?

I think that is about it for now, but just in case, I do own stock in flame retardant suits ;) (I come from a long line of rowdy cigar BBS LOL)

2. llong

llong Valued Member

Have you been to winjutsu.com ?

Also, 70 miles isn't so bad once a week.

3. lalom

lalom Valued Member

Where exactly are you?

I didn't catch exactly where you are located. You mention Chatanooga, TN. but what city are you in?

4. mickblueeyes

I am located in Knoxville TN.

I have checked out the site you mention. Frankly, having never really spent much time immersed in Japanese arts. . .this is very unfamiliar territory. . .my time in Ishin-ryu was as a younger, less attentive man. I am seeing dozens of ryu names and getting very confused basically :D

5. mickblueeyes

Okay, just went and re-read the site. . .good info. . .I think I understand now. So who can explain Tenchijin Ryaku No Maki to me? Will bujinkan training incorporate "the 18 skills?" And the real question. . .can I self-study?

6. Neil-o-Mac

Neil-o-Mac The Rev

The answer to your last question is the same as it is for all martial arts, and that answer is 'no'. You can practice what you've been taught by a qualified instructor away from the dojo, but unless that instructor can pick up on any mistakes you have (which videos can't do), you'll pick up bad habits.

7. maf

maf Valued Member

how you doing mate, any of the books written by Dr Masaaki Hatsumi will give you plenty of information and answers to the questions you were asking. Some of the guys and girls on this forum are fountains of knowledge someone here should be able to answer anything else.
    speak to you soon.

8. mickblueeyes

So why does van donk suggest that you can learn from his DVD's? In order to progress you have to be tested by videotaping yourself or performing in person. Does this satisfy your suggestion that an instructor is needed? I am very interested in this, but don't want to waste money on DVD's or training 70 miles away when there are several of Kung Fu teachers in my area if it isn't going to be beneficial.

9. whiteshadow711j

whiteshadow711j Hiding in the Shadows

Van Donk is not a bad person, but lets just say he wants you to buy the tapes and dvds from him :D

I say find a good instructor, and go from there.

here is a quick brief on the 9 schools that the bujinkan covers,

Togakure Ryu
    The founder of Togakure Ryu was Daisuke Nishina. He had been born (1161) in a small village called Togakure near Hiei-zan in the prefecture of Shinano into a Samurai family. Daisuke had studied, during his early years, in a Tendai monastry on Mount Hiei-zan in the art of Shugendo which taught one to purify ones self by trail and hardship.
    Having been defeated in the battle of Awaza no Kassian, Daisuke was forced to flee to the Iga mountains where he changed his name to Daisuke Togakure (after the village where he was born). While here he met with Kagakure Doshi who was the third soke of Hakuun Ryu Ninjutsu. Daisuke added Hakuun techniques to his own Shugendo practices and beliefs and Togakure Ryu was born. Shima Kosanta Minamota no Kanesada, a high level Samura retainer and friend of Daisuke also studied under Doshi and became the second soke of Togakure Ryu.

Shima's son Goro Togakure, the third soke of Togakure Ryu, is beleived to be the person who actually formed Togakure into the Ninjutsu system that it is today.
    The Togakure family had control of Togakure Ryu until about 1625 until the immediate family died out and control was then passed onto the Toda family. Nobutsuna Toda was the 24th soke and added Kumogakure Ryu techniques to the Togakure system. The Toda family also controled Gyokko Ryu and Koto Ryu Ninjutsu.
    Almost 1000 years after the founding of Shugendo the 33rd soke of Togakure Ryu was ordained on Mount Hiei-zan, Toshitsuga Takamatsu.

Gyokko Ryu
    Gyokko Ryu forms the basis for the schools of Togakure Ryu, Koto, Gikan, Shindan Fudo, Gyokushin, and Kumogakure.
    It is thought that this art comes from China from around the Tang Dynasty (618 - 907 AD). The first soke of Gyokko Ryu was Tozawa Hakuunsai in the Hogen Era (1156 - 1159). The Bugei Ryu-Ha Daijiten refers to Gyokko Ryu as Koshijutsu ****ojutsu Ninpo. Koshijutsu means "to knock down an enemy with one finger". This style uses powerful blocks with the knuckles that destroy the muscles of the opponent. Also ripping and piercing techniques are employed such as Boshi Ken. Gyokko Ryu involves grappling, locking and throwing as well as weapon arts such as sword, tanto and bo staff.

Kuki Shinden Ryu Happo Hikenjutsu
    Kuki Shinden Ryu Happo Hikenjutsu is a battlefield style whose specialty is Happo Hikenjutsu (eight ways of the hidden sword). This school includes Dakentaijutsu and many weapon techniques.

Shinden Fudo Ryu
    The founder of Shinden Fudo Ryu Dakentaijutsu was Izumo who had studied Chinese Kempo boxing. The second soke, Minamoto Hachiman Tamenari, is thought of as the official founder and brought together the techniques we see today.
    The school has two styles of fighting, Dakentaijutsu and Jutaijutsu and also teaches Hojojutsu (the art of tying an opponent with rope), Yari (spear), Ono (war axe), O-Tsuchi (War Hammer) and Naginata.
    Shinden Fudo Ryu use the principles of nature as as such there are no stances.
    Takamatu's grandfather, Toda Shinryuken Masamitsu, was the 24th soke of Shinden Fudo Ryu and a master of Bikenshin Ryu as well as a sword instructor to the Tokugawa Shogunate. Shinden Fudo Ryu was the first style of Ninpo that Takamatsu learned.

Gyokushin Ryu
    Gyokushin Ryu is very similar to Gyokko Ryu and it is thought that its founder, Sasaki Goerman Teruyoshi, was from the Gyokko Ryu. Initialy taught in secret in the Kishu and Takeda provinces Gyokushin Ryu at some time in the 1600's came into contact with Toda Nobutsuna and Togakure Ryu. Gyokushin Ryu uses many espionage skills and is also know for the Nagenawa (lasso). It is thought that Kano Jigero, the founder of Judo, taught Gyokushin Ryu at the Kodokan school.

Koto Ryu
    The fighting style of Koto Ryu may have originated in China and been brought to Japan by Chan Busho. The style that is taught today though was founded by Sakagami Taro Kunishige in 1542 who was a soke of Gyokko Ryu Koshijutsu.
    Koto Ryu is a system using Koppojutsu (bone smashing/breaking techniques) and Kyusho (pressure points) to defeat the enemy. Koto Ryu also used a very unusual sword fighting method with a stance called Mangetsu no Kamae where the sword is held above the head and the blade used to reflect sunlight into the opponents eyes.

Gikan Ryu
    Gikan Ryu was founded by Uryu Gikanbo, a Daimyo of Kawachi no Kuni. This style had many special kicks, punches and throws that have been taught orally and are not written down. Gikan Ryu uses the bodies natural movement for its power and skill.

Takagi Yoshin Ryu
    Takagi Yoshin Ryu was founded by Takagi Oriuemon Shigenobu.
    Takagi Oriuemon was chief instructor of swordsmanship at Shiraishi castle in Oshu (present day Tohoku region), having mastered Takeuchi Ryu Jujutsu, Yoshin Ryu Kodachi, and Kenko Ryu Sojutsu.
    Takagi Oriuemonal also founded Hontai Yoshin Ryu and both can trace their origins back for 18 generations.
    Takagi Yoshin Ryu specializes in grappling and throwing. Other techniques are based around Bojutsu and there is a very strong link here with Jujutsu "Soft like cotton, hard like lightning; courage to win against ten thousand men".

Kumogakure Ryu
    Kumogakure Ryu was possibly developed in the 1600's by the Toda family as a school of thought.
    This Ryu is famous for its Demon Masks that it wore to scare the enemy. The Ryu also used a special weapon called a Kamayari (hooked spear). The blade was used to trap and break an opponents sword or to hook an enemy from above. Kumogakure Ryu also taught survival skills.

10. mickblueeyes

wow, great post, thanks for all the info!

11. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

By the way, although there are no Genbukan schools around you, Ninpo Secrets by Tanemura soke is a good read. And also, he teaches Bagua (pretty much as circular as it gets) along with ninjutsu training. So I am assuming if you have a good kung fu instructor, and find a dojo near you (bujinkan or jinenkan perhaps) then you should be good to go.

12. whiteshadow711j

whiteshadow711j Hiding in the Shadows

the three main schools of Ninjutsu are the,

Bujinkan, headed by Soke Maasaki Hatsumi. http://www.bujinkan.com/

Genbukan, headed by Shoto Tanemura. http://www.genbukan.org/

Jinenkan, headed by Manaka Unsui. http://www.jinenkan.com/

there is also a few Independants like,

To Shin Do, headed by Steven K. Hayes. http://www.skhquest.com/

my old Genbukan school that broke off from Shoto Tanemura is called Shinken Bujutsu, headed by Joe Svaral. http://www.shinkenbujutsu.com

and a couple others, but they all came from and originated from the source of ninjutsu, the Bujinkan and the Takamatsuden arts.

13. heretic888

heretic888 Valued Member

Heh heh, that's funny. . . .

14. mickblueeyes

Just telling it like it is. I have newfound respect for the art after reading about ninjutsu on MAP.

15. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

well... we'll see how long that lasts once you start training in it
    i'd recommend another art personally...
    (based on a little experience)
    but if you want to LARP ninja... have fun

16. mickblueeyes

Not sure what that means?

17. Shau

Shau kurai okami

No worries. All it means is that he is just hating and trolling around. :woo:

There will always be people who don't like the art. Just attend a few classes and decided for yourself.

18. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

Or if you want to LARP tough guy...you could hang around with kmguy8 and pretend to be tough.

*kmguy runs around the forum like a girl screaming "look at me...I'm tuff and cool! Look at me..."

Careful boy, your shoelaces are undone

19. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

not hating to offer advice to someone is it?
    trolling... well, maybe not syaing what is popular on this section of the forum
    i am not trolling...
    just throwing up warning for somebody
    not trying to goad anyone
    I agree with the trying the classes out... try several.. be careful what you sign
    good luck,.. as I do not want to "troll"
    I'll also not return to this thread
    peace

20. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

I'd tell you what I think it means...but my true description and opinion of that kid would violate TOS...and I'm too nice for that.