The Shining by Stanely Kubrick

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by slipthejab, Jul 18, 2005.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The Shining by director Stanley Kubrick (Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove, 2001, Full Metal Jacket, Barry Lyndon etc. etc.) is one of the first horror films I can remember seeing as a kid. It's one of the first films I remember seeing that was not only scary but deeply disturbing.

Since I live in China I often feel it's my duty to open up the world of classic western movies to people who might not otherwise ever pick them up of their own accord...LOL... so recently I decided it was time for my Tibetan girlfriend to see The Shining! :D

I picked up Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' on DVD and even all these years later I was still impressed how disturbing the film is. There is no reliance on CG or on hipster soundtracks or on mega-celebrity power to move the plot or characters forward. Jack Nicholson is at his best as a psychotic nut, Shelley Duval does the mousiest of mouses and the well dressed man having an oral rendevous with with someone in a weird bear/pig suit is still just as scary and disturbing as it's always been! :eek:

I thought I'd get some opinions and feedback from others here on MAP.

1) How do you think this film has aged?

2) How does it compare with current attempts at the horror genre?

3) How old were you the first time you saw it?

4) What other films do you think are in the same league?

5) What other Kubrick films have you seen?

6) How do you think Kubrick compares to other directors?

7) What is your favorite scary seen in the film?

8) What is your favorite weird or inexplicable scene in the film?

Thanks! :D

and now back to Johhnnnnnnyyyy!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Moved to Movies :)

3. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

I really enjoyed the movie. It struck a chord of horror on a deeper level.

4. Philosopher59

Philosopher59 Valued Member

My Dad was a huge horror movie fan so I got to see this on the big screen when it first came out, I was only 10 years old and it scarred the crap out of me!

A few years later it was on HBO and I was sleeping on the couch with the TV on. I woke up to the scene of Jack Nicholson just staring into the camera with that crazed look....freaked me out!

As a horror movie, I think it's the best ever. But I haven't kept up with horror movies for the past 8 years or so.

Kubrek is a great director but not one of my absolute favs. Other films of his that are great are 2001 a space odyssey and Full metal jacket.

5. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

My responses in bold

1) How do you think this film has aged?

It's aged pretty well, actually. Some older films seem to develop a "cheese factor" that "The Shining hasn't.

2) How does it compare with current attempts at the horror genre?

One of the best.

3) How old were you the first time you saw it?

10?

4) What other films do you think are in the same league?

The Exorcist.

5) What other Kubrick films have you seen?

Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Odessey, and Eyes Wide Shut.

6) How do you think Kubrick compares to other directors?

Meh. Depends on his subject matter.

7) What is your favorite scary seen in the film?

Anything with the kid.

8) What is your favorite weird or inexplicable scene in the film?

Anything with the kid :p

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  6. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

I think all Kubrick films age quite well because they often dwell more on human psychology, which is timeless.

Current horror movies can't, and shouldn't be compared because the vast majority (except for a tiny handful like Land of the Dead) are high concept trash meant to startle you and disgust you rather than give you chills and leave that big hole in the pit of your stomach.

Probably around 11 years old.

I would say most of the other Kubrick films are as good or better. There are also some classics from back in the day like Chaplin's stuff and the French New Wave, as well as the classic Japanese era which included Ozu and Kurosawa.

All of them.

I'm actually biased because he's one of my favorites. But I find it unfair to compare auteurs as they often have different styles. One can't say Kubrick is any better or worse than Hitchcock because they did different things and each did it flawlessly.

It's been parodied and and laughed at to death, but the typewriter scene is still one of the most disturbing and unnerving scenes in the history of cinema. Imagine sitting there and slowly realizing that the person you're with is totally out of his mind...

Whew, that was long-winded. I have to just walk away when people start asking me to analyze films :Angel:

7. slipthejab

Great posts so far people!
    Keep 'em coming.

I agree with much that has been said already.

Sandus you brought up some really good points. As for your choice of disturbing or unnerving scenes I have to agree... when Shelley Duval begins to flip through the manuscript in that box that Jack's been typing and it turns out it's all the same thing... man what a creepy feeling! Miles beyond any splatter/Alien type of scary.

8. slipthejab

An interesting point I recently found out... this is based on a Stephen King book.
    While I can enjoy a Stephen King book every now and then (reading lite) I often find his films have such low production values and cheezeball actors that I give them the miss.

If you compare say (if it's even valid to compare the two) Dreamcatchter the movie based on the book of the same title by Stephen King and The Shining... which I watched in the same day recently (slow work day... lol) there is really no contest... though I guess that's to be expected?

Surprisingly Stephen King was not selected by Kubrick to adapt the book to a script... they seem to have had too many differences and Kubrick ended up using someone else to do the adaption.

I've also noticed that many of us that saw the film were around the same age... uh oh... don't even think about how long ago that was! :D

Has anyone read the original book by Stephen King?

Here's a disturbing image for ya! (from what I consider to be one of the most bizarre and disturbing scenes)

Attached Files:

9. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Errrrrrr, I havent seen the film, but can anyone briefly explain what the heck is going on with the guy in the creepy bear suit, or do I need to watch the film to understand? :confused: :eek:

10. Philosopher59

I read the book. The movie was a lot better. In the book it was more about the little boy being able to read his parents minds and how they were on the verge of divorce.

The book was more like the made for TV series that came out in 1998 or so. I also read that King was unhappy with Kubrick's interpretation of the book and he vowed to remake it as soon as he could afford to.

I think the craziest thing in that movie was when the little boy was riding around the hotel on that big wheel and kept seeing those creepy little girls standing there saying, "come play with us Danny.....come play with us....FOREVER!!!"

An of course the bartender......"what'll it be Mr. Torrence....."

11. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I've read just about all of King's earlier works. The Shining was one of the few that seemed to have taken on a real life of it's own once it hit the screen. Compared to a Carrie, or a Firestarter, the book doesn't really hold its own; the movie version, however, outshone the former.

12. Philosopher59

That scene was just a quick shot of some of the ghosts that lived in the hotel, it was toward the end when things were getting really out of control. They were finding traces of all these ghost partying throughout the hotel and I think we were supposed to asume that these two were about to have sex. As the one in the costume had his/her's head near the other guy's lap. They were only on the screen for a second.

13. slipthejab

That is much the same reaction that many that have seen the film had as well. it's a very disturbing scene because it appears to make no sense at all but is somehow very nightmarish.

According to what I've read this particular subject/scene is gone into a bit more in depth in the original novel by King... I think though it works to perfect effect in the film as it is with no build up... it helps to heighten the sense of confusion and fear one feels.

It helps that Shelley Duval looks like a ghost herself throughout much of the movie!

14. slipthejab

come play with us Danny...FOREVER and EVER and EVER! :eek:

Attached Files:

15. PsiCop

Creepy pics...

16. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Cheers for the explanation Philosopher and Slip, I am now strangely intrigued to watch this movie now. :D

17. slipthejab

Do it (watch the movie)...
    preferably alone at night with NO interruptions.

Just sit back and enjoy it.... forever and ever and ever and ever!!!

18. gerard

gerard Valued Member

Little trivia for you guys:

What is the most famous blopper of this movie and which proved that Kubrick is a human and as such he was capable of making mistakes despite of being a perfectionist?

:)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  19. PsiCop

You got me. What is it?

20. slipthejab

Perhaps you mean one of the numerous continuity errors in the film? :confused: