Idris Elba - the next Bond?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Van Zandt, Dec 29, 2014.

1. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

With the exception of Lazenby, who made the tongue in cheek remark "This never happened to the other fella." (which could be interpreted as James Bond being a cover although the official line is that it isn't), each Bond should probably be viewed as a 'reboot' of the franchise if it is to hold together in any logical way.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IGM36KWmh4"]On Her Majesty's Secret Service Movie CLIP - This Never Happens (1969) HD - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

One work-around could be that they introduce the idea of Bond as a cover identity.

So, they say that Connery to Craig were all playing the same person, who actually was James Bond, but that guy got old and retired or died, but for some reason his identity needs to continue (they've already got lots of bank accounts around the world set up in that name, or something) so they recruit a completely new guy and stick him in the cover as James Bond.

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I should have guessed that replying to a thread on a subject that I know nothing about was a mistake. But you don't get a five-figure post count without being prepared to wing it 99% of the time, do ya? ;)

All good points. But we've had a Scottish Bond, an Irish Bond (or several, if we're liberal about the definition of 'Irish') and a fairly old Bond. So maybe it's time we had a really young Bond. And/or a short-sighted Bond.

No-one seems to have the slightest problem with having a black Bond, so why not an Asian Bond, or a Chinese Bond? Let's have a disabled Bond, and a female Bond. Why not? So long as they have 'Bondness' then everything else is mere detail.

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

A code name for all the double 0 agents. The number seperates them.

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

What happens if there are more than nine of them? Do they go to 010, or to 0010?

6. Bozza Bostik

001i, 001ii.....

(I take it you're not a fan of the series).

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

So after 009 they go to 001i? That's a pretty rubbish system, in my opinion.

You're damn right I'm not. It makes me want to puke, on so many levels.

8. Bozza Bostik

It is but I thought i'd stick with the theme of things.

I thought I was the only one....

The early ones are ok though, not that i'd watch them again. I'd rather watch Tinker, Tailor....

9. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Nope you can add me to the list, i'm not a fan either.

Baza

10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

That one where Dracula has 3 nipples is alright, and From Russia With Love isn't too bad for a lazy afternoon kinda film.

After that it's painting-by-numbers franchise yawn-a-thon.

I saw a few minutes of a Daniel Craig one a few months ago, and was pretty surprised at how they haven't got rid of the rampant sexism.

11. Bozza Bostik

He is from the British upper class.

I'd love to see more realistic spy films (no, not Bourne). I like the old stuff made during the Cold War. But without the silly fight scenes, a few half naked "babes", dull car chase scenes...they'd be no market for them.

They obviously couldn't be too realistic, who'd want to watch a man* sitting on a park bench talking to informers for 120 mins.

All very dull really.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4638136.stm

*Sexism!

12. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Speaking of Lazenby's Bond, he gets married and then she dies at the end. I think it's in Licence to Kill that it is mentioned that he had a wife that died so Daltons Bond definitely carries on from Lazendby.
    I can't remember the continuity is Thunderball to OHMSS in the movies but in the books that one was one of few direct sequels. But given there are two movies between them I doubt it does carry over like that.

13. David Harrison

I'm not hugely into fictional spy stuff, 'cos they always make it silly and leave out all the interesting tradecraft stuff. I have heard some good dramatisations of John le Carré books on BBC radio though.

Remember this real-life spy story? So darkly hilarious that it was decided it was suicide!
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/13/mi6-spy-dead-bag-locked-himself-gareth-williams

14. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

The John Le Carre stories are garbage too. But I would imagine that they are considerably more realistic garbage than James Bond.

I think the best 'secret service' dramas I've seen were the later epsiodes of Foyle's War. The new series starts this weekend. Yay! :)

15. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Bond isn't really a spy though, the closest description to his role is that of a hit man.

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Screw you all. Bond is awesome!

17. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Yep, and the new ones updated bond so that he was SBS I think. He is really closer to Jason Bourne, MI6's designated killer.

18. David Harrison

VZ, you are a walking Hollywood focus group.

You are the man action movies get made for :)

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I second two things here.

1) I love Bond. Faults and all.

2) I love Foyle's War. A new series is glad news.

Michael Kitchen has starred in both. Coincidence? Unlikely. Michael Kitchen is like the bacon of actors. Everything is better with Michael Kitchen.

20. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

So everyone likes Michael Kitchen except Jews, Muslims and vegetarians?

I didn't know that he had starred in a James Bond film. My opinion of him has just gone down a notch - unless he was young and skint at the time, in which case I suppose it's the equivalent of a young Hollywood starlet appearing in a rude film which she later regrets.

Mind you, he'd have made a smashing Bond.